Private Music Lessons & Instruction
A native of Hong Kong, Preston Lau began playing piano at the age of nine after a Chinese fortune teller helped him discover his passion and talent in music. While studying traditional classical piano with a teacher, Preston spent most of his time learning to play his favorite contemporary music entirely by ear, and performing the songs naturally with heart and soul. In 1996 he left Hong Kong to further his education at Northfield Mount Hermon School in Massachusetts, USA, where he was introduced to and fell in love with the American art form of Jazz music. Later he earned his Bachelor of Music degree from the prestigious University of Miami Frost School of Music where he studied Music Business and Jazz Piano Performance. The institution's Studio Music and Jazz program is consistently known as among the best in the nation. It was also the first music school in the nation to offer the innovative degree in Music Business and Entertainment Industries. Among some of the nation's finest musicians and professors Preston studied with were Vince Maggio (former private student of Oscar Peterson), Phillip Strange (Doctor of Musical Arts), Matt Bonelli (former bassist for the Bee Gees), and Maurice Oberstein (former CEO of CBS Records and Chairman of BPI).
Currently Preston works as freelance music producer/composer, pianist, DJ and music educator, and has 10 years of working experience in various parts of the music industry including the position of Marketing Officer at Naxos, the world's largest Classical music label and distributor, piano & DJ performance, and event producer & organizer. As a jazz music enthusiast and teacher, he strongly believes the uniquely American art form of jazz is a powerful and important language that teaches and challenges musicians and beginners to think creatively, differently, freely, emotionally while pushing the boundaries of music creation and self expression. Jazz also plays an important role in strongly influencing many other styles of contemporary music around the world.
For full biography of Preston Lau, please visit the Biography page.
Music Education //
Tel/Whatsapp: (852) 9248-7112
Qualifications & Background
Piano & Keyboard Performances By Preston Lau
Flat Six Music Studio
8B Glenealy Building
7 Glenealy Road
Central, Hong Kong
- Blues, Pop, RnB, Funk, Rock, Bossa Nova, Jazz literature
- Playing techniques
- Accompanying techniques
- Jazz music theory
- Composition/arranging techniques
- Ear training
- Listening & analysis
- Jazz music history
Content can be tailor made for student's specific needs.
English and/or Cantonese
Flat Six Music Studio in Central District, Hong Kong, or student's home.
- Bachelor of Music, University Of Miami Frost School of Music www.music.miami.edu - Received professional training from some of the top Jazz & Contemporary music educators & musicians in the USA.
- Jazz & Contemporary Piano Performer
- Music Producer & Composer www.soundcloud.com/prestonlau
- Piano Instructor at Chinese International School www.cis.edu.hk
Medium of Instruction
About Preston Lau
- 1998 Nothfield Mount Hermon School top music award 'Joseph Elliot Award'
- Berklee College of Music 1998 Jazz Ensemble Festival 'Judges' Choice Award'
- Sha Tin College's first ever 'College Award', specially created for outstanding contribution to music